Bill Murdoch Trophy
Bill Murdoch Trophy 2002
The Bill Murdoch Trophy for Champion Australian Native Orchid Species of the Year has been awarded to Cymbidium canaliculatum var. sparkesii 'Clem Scott'.
This splendid exhibit, owned by John and Irena Lojszczyk, was Champion Australian Native Species at the ANOS Newcastle Group Late Spring Show. It was a fine display of 18 inflorescences with 50 maroon flowers per inflorescence on a very well grown plant.
There were 27 nominations this year, of which 8 were known to be line-bred, and nominated plants had also received a total of two quality awards and one AD. Thirteen nominations were from ANOS groups, 1 from NOSSA, 12 from State or AOC or OSCOV Affiliated Societies, and one plant eligible by reason of having received an AM.
There was a wide range of genera represented, although once again more dendrobiums than any other genus.
The following will receive a Bill Murdoch Certificate
- Chiloglottis formicifera - Roslyn Capell
- Corybas diemenicus - Nesbitt's Orchids
- Cymbidium suave 'Moruya' - Jim & Helga Stott
- Dendrobium aemulum - F&H Vernon
- Dendrobium affine 'Graham' HCC/AOC-QOS 2002 - Graham Markcrow
- Dendrobium bigibbum var. compactum - A Lavis
- Dendrobium bigibbum 'No. 11' - Richard Pettigrew
- Dendrobium canaliculatum - vivian John Barrett
- Dendrobium kingianum 'Cosmos' - Norm & Kay Mitchell
- Dendrobium kingianum 'Debra' AD/AOC-VOC 2002 - Ron & Pauline Coppin
- Dendrobium monophyllum - Gerry Walsh
- Dendrobium speciosum var. grandiflorum ('Mt Larcom Gold' x 'Kroombit Gold') - L&B Dobson
- Dendrobium speciosum var. speciosum ('Windermere' x self) 'Lorraine' - L&B Dobson
- Dendrobium speciosum ('Neville' x 'Windermere') 'Hamersley' - R&M Jess
- Dendrobium speciosum 'William' - Mike Fish
- Dendrobium speciosum - Phil Barrett
- Dendrobium tetragonum var. tetragonum - Judy Penney
- Dockrillia fairfaxii - B Britton
- Dockrillia nugentii 'Jeffrey' AM/AOC-NSW 2202; AM/ANOS 1998 - Fred Fear
- Dockrillia wassellii - Noel Oliver
- Pterostlis baptistii - Ron & Rose Boyd
- Pterostylis obtusa - Don & Jane Higgs
- Pterostylis procera - Nesbitt's Orchids
- Pterostylis russellii - Phillip Bunney
- Sarcochilus hartmannii 'Christine' - Mike Fish
- Sarcochilus hartmannii ('Dungong' x 'Red Snow')x('Red Heart' x 'DB') - Phil Barrett